During wintertime, most homeowners experience a significant increase in energy consumption along with a higher energy bill. Even in Dallas, Fortunately, there are simple steps you can take to lower your home heating costs dramatically during winter.
1. Adjust Your Thermostat – During winter, a comfortable level to set a household thermostat is at approximately 68 degrees. At this level, your HVAC system goes through fewer cycles and uses less total energy. For times when your family is away from home for long periods, consider turning the thermostat down an additional 5 degrees to lower your energy bill even more. For even more long-term energy savings, invest in a programmable thermostat that automatically adjusts temperature settings while your family is sleeping or outside of the home.
2. Insulate Properly – Insulation is important for high HVAC efficiency levels, however the benefits of taking the time to properly insulate your home skyrocket during wintertime. By insulating areas in your home such as the interior and exterior walls and ceilings, you can dramatically reduce the level of heat loss that naturally occurs, which in turn lowers your overall energy costs.
3. Weatherize Your Home – Weatherizing, which protects your home from elements such as sun, wind and rain, has a secondary benefit in reducing overall energy usage while simultaneously increasing HVAC efficiency. The process involves going through the building and sealing off any openings where there is unwanted ventilation. This includes sealing openings in doors, windows, ceilings and walls no matter how miniscule they may seem. Properly weatherizing the average home has the potential to reduce energy costs by to up 10 percent.
4. Service Your HVAC System – It is important to head into winter weather with a heating and cooling system that is working at its highest efficiency level, and is free from any faults that can lead to problems later on. Have your system serviced by professional technicians, like those at Lex Air Conditioning. They will change filters and thoroughly clean air ducts to ensure that your entire HVAC system is functioning properly. This results in lower energy costs and greater household comfort.
5. Use An Energy Star HVAC System – One of the most effective ways of controlling your winter energy consumption is to replace an older heating and cooling system with one that is Energy Star rated. HVAC systems that feature the Energy Star use approximately 20 to 30 percent less energy than federal standards require. Combined with proper weatherizing and insulation, an Energy Star rated HVAC system has the potential to slash your winter energy bill in half.
Take the steps necessary to reduce your winter energy by utilizing our professional services at Lex Air Conditioning. Our technicians will thoroughly examine and tune up your HVAC system for highest efficiency during the winter season. We utilize the best tools, technicians and processes to get your heating and cooling system running optimally which lowers your total energy consumption and costs. Along with offering outstanding installation, maintenance and repairs, our goal is to provide you with the ultimate HVAC service package and complete customer satisfaction.